Prof. Ruggieri, SCI 4020, Spring 2022
Week 3 Homework
1. List three (3) of the hallmarks of cancer. (3 pts)
2. Explain, in basic terms, what “sustained proliferative signaling” means. (2 pts)
3. In ____________ proliferative stimulation, cancer cells themselves produce the chemical(s) that they then also respond to; a type of so-called “self-signaling.” (1 pt)
4. Explain how elevating/increasing the number of receptor proteins displayed on the surface of a cancer cell would lead to its sustained proliferative signaling. (i.e. how are the receptors linked to sustained cell replication?) (2 pts)
5. The Rb protein is the product of a(n) oncogene / tumor suppressor gene (circle one). (1 pt)
6. Rb / TP53 (circle one) receives inputs exclusively from the cell’s intracellular operating systems and can trigger apoptosis. (1 pt)
7. Explain what the concept of “contact inhibition” means and what loss of that inhibition leads to. (2 pts)
8. What is the name of the cytoplasmic NF2 gene product? What is the main role of this protein? (3 pts)
9. What is apoptosis? List one function of this process in embryonic development and one function of this process in adults. (3 pts)
10. During the process of apoptosis, the targeted cell emits signals to attract ______________, a type of immune cell that can recognize cell parts and remove them from the body. (1 pt)
11. Apoptosis can be induced by signals/factors originating outside of the cell (extrinsic) or from within the cell (intrinsic). Currently, the extrinsic / intrinsic (choose one) apoptotic program is more widely implicated as a barrier to cancer pathogenesis. (1 pt)
12. List one (1) antiapoptotic regulator whose expression is often increased in cancer cells. (1 pt)
13. List two (2) proapoptotic factors whose expression is often downregulated in cancer cells. (1 pt)
14. Normal/healthy cells can pass through only a limited number of successive cell growth-and-division cycles. This limitation isassociated with two distinct barriers to proliferation: 1) _______________ and 2) _________________________. (2 pts)
15. One of the hallmark characteristics of cancer cells is the trait of being immortalized; explain what it means if cells are immortalized. (2 pts)
16. What are telomeres? How are telomeres different over time in normal cells versus cancer cells and how is this difference linked to being immortalized? (4 pts)
17. What takes place during the process of angiogenesis? (1 pt)
18. In adults, the vasculature becomes quiescent and, with the exception of wound healing and female reproductive cycling, does not continue to replicate and expand. Explain how this differs in tumors and what causes this difference? (2 pts)
19. List two activators of angiogenesis and two inhibitors. (4 pts)
20. Increased expression of ______________, a key cell-to-cell adhesion molecule, is well established as an antagonist of invasion and metastasis. (1 pt)
21. In Grade ___ tumors, the cells and tissue are somewhat abnormal and are called moderately differentiated. (1 pt)
22. What information does a cancer’s stage provide? (2 pts)
23. In the TNM system of cancer staging, what do the T, N, and M stand for? (3 pts)
(44 points total)
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.