Week 3 quiz
1) The most critical factor in controlling human population growth is
controlling reproductive lifespan.
decreasing the age of first birth.
decreasing the average number of births per woman.
decreasing infant death.
increasing overall wellness for the human race.
2) The total fertility rate (TFR) is an estimate of
the number of children that will survive to adulthood.
the number of years a typical infant will live.
the number of children each woman in a population will have.
the number of births per 1000 people per year.
the percentage of women in a population that are able to have children.
3) Which factor would NOT influence the size a population reaches over time?
Immigration and emigration
Number of deaths
Age of females at reproduction
Distance traveled by migrants
Number of births
4) To determine the number of individuals that will be added to a population in a specified time, we multiply the growth rate (r) by the
original population size.
final population size.
number of immigrants
5) Under which of the following conditions would a population grow?
The birth rate and the death rate are equal.
The birth rate exceeds the death rate and there is no immigration or emigration.
Emigration exceeds immigration and the birth rate equals the death rate.
The birth rate equals the death rate and immigration is equal to emigration.
The carrying capacity is exceeded.
6) A population’s growth rate depends upon
the age at which it first reproduces.
the average number of offspring produced.
the reproductive lifespan.
the post reproductive lifespan.
All of the above
7) Developing countries tend to have a(n) ____ age structure diagram.
8) If a population’s age structure diagram looks like a pyramid, the population
is remaining the same.
will expand for at least a generation.
is showing continuous exponential growth.
9) Population growth rates are high in developing countries because
infant mortality rates are low.
women tend to have children late in life.
family planning is common.
children are often an important economic advantage.
All of the above
10) If women delay childbearing,
the growth rate will increase.
the growth rate will decrease.
the growth rate will stay the same.
the immigration rate will increase.
the emigration rate will increase.
11) The population of the United States continues to grow as a result of
babies born to baby-boom generation parents.
the birth rate being above replacement level fertility during the 1940s through the 1960s.
All of the above
12) At present, Earth’s human population is
increasing at a constant rate.
increasing at about 10% per year.
13) U.S. citizens have a large ecological footprint because of their high consumption of
All of the above
14) A country’s impact on the environment is influenced by
I and III
II and III
I, II, and III
15) More than half of the total ecological footprint of the United States comes from
use of fossil fuels.
water use in the Western United States.
urban sprawl, which requires too much land area.
industrial agriculture techniques.
industrial production of goods from raw materials.
16) Key Idea: Analyze relationships among changes in population size, economic development, and resource consumption at global and local scales.
Urban populations represent approximately ____ % of the world population, but consume ____ % of the world’s resources
17) Malthus noted that human populations grow ____ while food supply grows ____.
18) In general, what is the relationship between life expectancy, child mortality, and affluence (such as health care, sanitation, potable water, and food)?
Life expectancy and child mortality are generally inversely proportional to affluence.
Life expectancy is generally inversely proportional to affluence, while child mortality is directly proportional.
Life expectancy is generally directly proportional to affluence, while child mortality is inversely proportional.
Life expectancy and child mortality are generally directly proportional to affluence.
There is no general relationship among these three factors.
19) Which developed country has the lowest infant mortality rate?
20) At one point, China had the highest fertility rates in the world. Now, with a rate of 1.6 births/woman, the population is expected to
double by 2040.
level off by 2040.
begin falling by 2040.
become more fertile, possibly increasing to as high as 2.5 births per woman.
become less fertile, possibly decreasing to zero population growth.
21) Historically, ____ has/have kept the world population out of food deficit.
slow population growth
exponential population growth
innovations in agricultural practices
22) Which factor is NOT considered when estimating world population?
Total fertility rates
23) Two populations of the same size have the same fertility and infant mortality rates. In population A, females begin having children at about age 16. In population B, they begin at about age 20. If we ignore immigration and emigration, which of the following should hold true?
Population A should grow more quickly due to four more years of possible child bearing.
Population B should grow more quickly because older mothers usually have healthier children.
Populations A and B should grow at about the same rate.
Population A should grow more quickly because younger mothers usually have healthier children.
There is not enough information to tell.
24) Worldwide, the largest density-dependent cause of death is
25) Which of the following is NOT true of sustainable development?
It attempts to raise standards of living without increasing environmental impact.
It increases the ecological footprint of cities that implement sustainable programs.
It involves utilizing renewable energy, organic agriculture, and land preservation.
The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment project is a blue print for sustainable development.
It is threatened by increased population and the concomitant increase in resource consumption.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.