1. “Allocation”: A general model of an ecosystem locates positions in the flow of energy and materials to the Sun, atmospheric gases, water, nutrients, plants, decomposers, herbivores, and carnivores. What position would you allocate to human beings?
2. “Locusts or Rats” Given the growth rate of the human population in recent centuries, would locusts or rats be justified in describing human beings as a planetary plague? Why?
3. “Twentieth Century World Population Explosion” Watch the podcast, “Distilled Demographics Mortality Rate” from the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) at http://www.prb.org/Journalists/Webcasts/2010/distilleddemographics3.aspx
In this video, PRB senior demographer Carl Haub explains how “crude” birth rates, the total fertility rate, and replacement-level fertility rates are measured. Using examples from various countries, why do these measures matter for public health and economic development?
a) Watch the podcast, “Distilled Demographics: Mortality Rate” from the Population Reference Bureau (PRB) at http://www.prb.org/Journalists/Webcasts/2010/distilleddemographics4.aspx
In this video, PRB senior demographer Carl Haub discusses the trends behind this “revolution” in mortality, explains how “crude” death rates are measured. Using examples from various countries, why do these measures matter for public health and economic development?
4. Webliography: Population Reference Bureau http://www.prb.org
Answer the following questions after viewing:
a) What does the term demography mean?
b) What does Haub mean when he says, “Demography is destiny”? Use an example from the video to support your answer.
5. “Stages of Development” Examine the 2011 population pyramids for Sudan, Japan, and the USA at www.census.gov. Describe the characteristics of the opulation and identify the services necessary to serve this population over the next 10 to 15 years.
To view the population pyramids, use the US Census Bureau website at http://www.census.gov.
– Go to People and Households and click on International
– Click on IDB (International Data Base)
– Click on Data Access
– Select Country (Sudan, Japan and the USA)
– Year: 2011
– Click Submit
– Click Demographic Indicators to review the data
– Click Population Pyramid to view pyramids
Use the demographic indicators and the population pyramid to answer the following question:
Describe the characteristics of the population and identify the services necessary to serve these populations over the next 10 to 15 years. Be sure to define the discuss the implications of each of the following population characteristics for Sudan, Japan and the USA.
a) Birth rate
b) Death rate
c) Fertility rate
d) Infant mortality
e) Life expectancy
f) Natural increase
g) Net migration
Webliography: U.S. Census Bureau – www.census.gov
6) Given what we have learned about the Earth’s resources, discuss the statement, “There is no limit to Earth’s resources as human ingenuity will tend to solve any shortages.” How does this statement differ from Malthius and his point of view?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.