1. WATCH JAZZ: A FILM BY KEN BURNS, EPISODE 2: THE GIFT
2. WATCH WATCH JAZZ: A FILM BY KEN BURNS, EPISODE 2: SWING, THE VELOCITY OF CELEBRATION
3. Answer the following discussion questions…
a.This episode is about what two African American musicians?
b. Where did Louis Armstrong get his start playing a trumpet? What other incidents in his early life gave him the opportunity to learn to play the coronet?
c. How did he get to Chicago? Who was he playing with??
d. Where did “Duke” Ellington grow up? What was different about his young years from Armstrong’s??
e. What was Duke Ellington’s medium for music? How did he get started?
f. As adults and professionals, where did Armstrong and Ellington play??
How did their music develop from there?
g. What was the gift that Armstrong and Ellington displayed? How are their “gifts” different from each other?
LOUIS ARMSTRONG PLAYLIST
DUKE ELLINGTON PLAYLIST
BEBOP AND BEBOP LISTENING PLAYLIST
1. WATCH: Jazz: A Film by Ken Burns. Episode 7 Dedicated to Chaos before completing this assignment. Here’s the link…
2. LISTEN: To the Afromusicology Bebop Playlist on YouTube. Here is the link…
3. READ: Dizzy Atmosphere: The Challenge of Bebop by Eric Porter. You’ll find this article under Resources on Sakai. Then answer the discussion questions below.
1. How does the author describe the musical characteristics of the style of jazz known as Bebop?
2. Who were some of the early inventors/players of Bebop?
3. What was the name of the club that hosted the jam sessions where Bebop was “born”?
4. How did the young bebop musicians feel about the older swing and traditional jazz musicians? How did the older musicians feel about the younger musicians?
5. What does the author mean by the term “critical ecumenicalism”?
6. What were some of the social issues plaguing African Americans around the same time as Bebop’s conception?
7. It is often argued that Bebop was a music born out of either revolution or evolution. Give an example of an author and his/her views quoted by Porter in the article who believed Bebop was revolutionary. Give an example of an author and their views quoted by Porter in the article who believed Bebop was merely evolutionary.
8. How did the musicians themselves feel about Bebop and why they played it? Cite specific musicians and their quotes.
9. According to Porter, what were some of the factors that led to the demise of Bebop?
1. WATCH: The Sounds of Soul https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ5hvsaJ4sk
And answer the following questions.
1. ________ Stax Records
2. ________ Motown Records
3. ________ Atlantic Records
4. ________ TSOP
A. Philadelphia B. Detroit C. Memphis D. New York
5. He was the handsome and soulful balladeer known for his association with the gospel group, The Soul Stirrers as lead singer
6. The Queen of Soul who meshed her background in gospel with R&B to create powerful songs like “Natural Woman” and “Respect” _____________________
7. Otis Redding and Wilson Pickett exemplified the soulful sound of what music label?
8. He was the founder of Motown Records ________________________
(List the City in which the following popular theatres for black performers was/is located)
9. ________________ Regal Theatre
10. ________________ Uptown Theatre
11. ________________ Apollo Theatre
12. ________________ Howard Theatre
13. The Godfather of Soul known for his funky hard hitting rhythms and innovative dance moves
14. He was the lead singer for the Miracles and songwriter/collaborator for Motown Records
Name Four (4) Groups and or Solo Acts that recorded on the Motown Records label
19. Give one nickname or slogan for Motown Records
20. Give the nickname or slogan for Stax Records _______________________
2. WATCH: EWF The History of Funk. https://youtu.be/-ehzl16dqzg
Answer the following questions. If the link doesn’t work just search YouTube for it
1. This bandleaders message in the song along music his hippie band played was about bringing people together
2. What beat number was stressed in funk music?
3. George Clinton from PFunk mixed Acid rock with a huge dose of funk and called it what?
4. Larry Graham invented this percussive style of bass playing that would characterize funk music
5. Fill in the blanks to complete these PFunk song titles mentioned in the documentary
One ……..Under a …..
6. List three Earth Wind and Fire songs mentioned in the documentary
7. This style of music eclipsed funk with its four in the floor beat pattern …and heavy dance element.
8. This Minnesota multi instrumentalist influenced by James Brown, George Clinton, Sly and the Family Stone which a royal title.
9. The two most sampled funk artists in HipHop were…
10 The name of this James Brown song brought him outta Soul and into Funk
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.